The Mermaid at Lakeside was once an old granite farmhouse, it dates back to the early 18th century and is a good example of the Norman-style architecture on the island. Previously known as Welby Farm, it was once one of the major farms of the parish and is shown on the official map of 1795 – now on display in the Jersey Museum.
Welby Farm was set within acres of land within which the Perquage stream runs from north to south, feeds the lake and then flows out towards St Brelade. The stream takes an indirect course to enter the sea at St Aubin's Harbour. The Perquage stream has great historical importance in that it was the sanctuary footpath for criminals, even murderers, from the Parish Church of St Peter to their escape from justice: the sea. Any criminal could take refuge in the church and remain there for periods of over a week. The criminals’ friends could secure a boat so they would pass safely along the Perquage footpath next to the stream and make their escape without fear of arrest – the only conditions being that the criminal would never again return to Jersey and that all his goods and land were confiscated.
This practice was abolished at the Reformation (1547) and the Perquage lands were confiscated by the Crown. In 1663 King Charles II gave the Perquage to a favourite – Sir Edouard de Carteret – Seigneur of St Ouen, who eventually sold them off to the owners of the adjoining fields.
Most recently, in 2010, Barchester Healthcare developed Lakeside Village. The village comprises the existing Lakeside care home, Lakeside Manor – a brand new 60-bed care facility, and the Pavilion apartments. In 2011 the Mermaid Tavern was closed for renovation and reopened in April 2012 as The Mermaid at Lakeside after undergoing major refurbishment. Barchester Healthcare operates over 240 high-quality care centres throughout the United Kingdom.